Monday, September 22, 2014

So far to find you

I recently received a message from a friend of mine who works with my adoption agency - Lifeline Children's Services - asking if I would be willing to pray for and share about a special little girl who, like Olivia, has Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI, aka Brittle Bone Disease).

I said I would.  But then I let life get busy.  Whose doesn't?  But then I got mad at myself.  Because I'm being really selfish.  There is a precious little girl WAITING FOR A FAMILY!  And there is probably a family waiting for a little girl!  And I'm "too busy" to take the time share about her?  I can only pray for forgiveness and hope that my delay was so that the right person might now be ready.

Please meet Iris.

Iris is 10 years old.  Amy has met her and describes her as sweet, soft spoken, a little shy, and cute.



From this video, we also know that she likes to sing:

You might be wondering what does OI look like in Iris' life.  That's a good question.  We can see that she is in a wheel chair.  But does that mean that she can't or won't ever walk?  No.  It might.  But it also might mean that the people at the orphanage are afraid of her falling and breaking, so they just leave her in the chair (that is what happens with a lot of OI kiddos in other countries where knowledge and the right resources are not always available, but we can find out more/ask more questions if you're interested!).  Within the context of life with a family and good medical care, walking and running might just be a part of her life. But if she can't walk...ok!  Maybe she will play basketball from her wheelchair like some of Olivia's OI friends do!  Or maybe she will become a master baker or singer or artist...

We don't know what "type" of OI she has (there are 8, each which has its own characteristics - click here to learn more) because in China they don't usually do the genetic testing to determine type. 

What would having a child with OI look like in your life?  It might look like this...











There may be surgeries, there may be rods, there may be walkers, there may be infusions, there may be tears...

BUT...

I can promise you that here will be joy, laughter, silliness, and love.  There will be family!

My heart breaks for those who wait - for both the children and the families which would be more complete with them.  Pray.  Search your heart.  Is Iris your daughter?

To learn more about Iris, please contact Amy Hart.

I think about Iris and all of the other kids who wait ever time I hear Casting Crown's  song "So far to find you."  It was written about lead singer's wait and journey to bring home his daughter.  How far are you willing to go?



"I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."
1 Samuel 1:27


1 comment:

  1. We adopted out little girl with OI in June 2013. She is such a fabulous kid and I would be so lost without her. We are lucky in that she has not had any breaks thus far and has been given the green light to do basically any activity she wants. I would adopt another OI child in a heartbeat. They are determined spunky fun KIDS.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete